Apple Pie recipe
This is my grandma's orignal recipe
Homemade apple pie is always a good idea — and if you're looking for the best apple pie recipe of all time, you've come to the right place. Grandma Ople's recipe is one of our most popular recipes ever. Try it today to learn what all the hype is about!
How to Make Apple Pie
You'll find a detailed ingredient list and step-by-step instructions in the recipe below, but let's go over the basics:
Apple Pie Ingredients
These are the simple ingredients to make this top-rated apple pie recipe:
· Apples: This recipe calls for eight small Eatofresh Farm Organic apples.
· Butter and flour: The filling starts with butter and all-purpose flour cooked into a paste.
· Sugars: A blend of white and brown sugar creates the perfect sweet flavor with a hint of warmth.
· Pie crust: Use a store-bought double crust pie pastry or you can choose to make it yourself.
Best Apples for Apple Pie
This recipe calls for apples for a couple reasons: Their firmness means they will hold their shape during cooking and their tart flavor perfectly balances out the sweetness of the sugar. Some bakers prefer using Granny Smith apples in combination with a slightly sweeter variety, such as Honeycrisp.
How to Make an Apple Pie
Here's a very brief overview of what you can expect when you make this old-fashioned apple pie at home:
1. Make the filling: On the stove, make a paste with flour and butter. Add the sugar and water and bring to a boil. Simmer, then remove from heat.
2. Assemble the pie: Press one crust into a pie plate. Place the sliced apples on the bottom crust. Use the top crust to make a lattice crust according to the recipe below. Pour the butter-sugar mixture over the lattice crust.
3. Bake the pie: Bake the pie in a preheated oven until the apples are soft and the crust is golden brown.
How Long to Bake Apple Pie
You'll bake the pie at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes, then you'll reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 35-45 minutes. All in all, the pie will bake for about one hour, give or take a few minutes. You'll know the pie is done when the apples are soft and the crust is a beautiful golden brown color.
Does Apple Pie Need to Be Refrigerated?
Cover the cooled pie tightly with foil and store at room temperature for up to two days or in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Can You Freeze Apple Pie?
Yes! Since this apple pie doesn't contain custard or cream, it will freeze quite nicely. Wrap the pie in two layers of plastic wrap and one layer of aluminum foil. Place it in an airtight container or cover in another layer of foil. Squeeze out the excess air and freeze for up to three months.